What Is 1-2-4-All?
1-2-4-All is a method for engaging all members of a large group simultaneously to generate ideas together.
This method is highly scalable and can be used for almost any group size.
Why Do 1-2-4-All?
- All voices are heard, incorporating “silent” conversations and expanding input diversity
- Broad engagement naturally improves consensus and shared understanding
- Iterative feedback improves outcomes
How to do 1-2-4-All?
- The facilitator asks a question about an issue, problem to resolve, or a proposal to put forward (e.g., What opportunities do YOU see for making progress on this challenge? How would you handle this situation? What ideas or actions do you recommend?)
- Individuals self-reflect on the shared challenge [1 min.]
- Individuals pair up to generate ideas in pairs, building on ideas from self-reflection. [2 min.]
- Pairs group into foursomes to share and develop ideas from each pair. [4 min.]
- Repeat cycle as needed.
- The facilitator pulls the entire group together to share and develop a common idea. [5 min.]
image: Nadia von Holzen
Look at 1-2-4-All
Links we love
Check out these great links which can help you dive a little deeper into running the 1-2-4-All practice with your team, customers or stakeholders.
Discuss with the Community