Product Owner, Team Members, Subject Matter Expert, Architect
This practice is part of: Product Ownership.
What is It?
- Having a conversation to provide clarity surrounding the detail or conditions of satisfaction for work items in the backlog
- Identifying priority for work items in the backlog
- Sometimes called “Backlog Grooming”
Why use it?
- Drive team shared understanding of work items in regards to:
- Scope of work in the backlog
- Conditions of satisfaction
- Prioritization of what to do first
How often should it occur and for how long?
- The simple answer is as often as is necessary
- Typically its advised that 1 hour of refinement should suffice for each week of the sprint
- Although typically occurring as a team meeting, backlog refinement can occur throughout the sprint with the required parties. However information gained in this meeting must be adequately radiated to those who need it.
- Product owners are also not necessarily required for a backlog refinement. The key is to have those who have sufficient knowledge to talk through a backlog item and answer questions. This may come in the form of a Product owner, Stakeholder, Developer etc