Facilitator, Development Team, User/Stakeholder
What is it?
- A tool to capture and visualise what key stakeholders are sensing when in a particular context or completing a set of tasks.
- A way to form a better understanding of users and build personas
- The information is captured directly from interviews, observation and other facilitated conversation exercises.
- Senses captured can include what the person is seeing, thinking, doing and feeling with information captured on a big visible chart.
Why use it?
- Captures information and learning directly from the end user affected by the system/application/solution in question.
- Enables a direct connection between important stakeholders and developers (for example, developers of an application can learn directly from end users using it).
- A tool to identify pain points, opportunities and starts to form a basis for improvement and optimisation.
- An excellent tool to move from user empathy to value propositions - Dave Gray has integrated Alex Osterwalder’s Value Proposition Canvas in the latest version of the Empathy Map
The Empathy map has been created as a practice by Dave Gray of XPLANE
Dave Gray’s explanation of Empathy Mapping on Gamestorming.com
What is an Empathy Map? by SolutionsIQ